Smiths Station Dixie Girls Softball
This organization shall be known as the Smiths Station Dixie Girls Softball (SSDGS) and franchised under Dixie Softball Incorporated.
A. Said association is organized exclusively for charitable, religious, educational, and
scientific purposes, including, for such purposes, the making of distributions to
organizations that qualify as exempt organizations under section 501(C)(3) of the
Internal Revenue Code or corresponding section of any future federal tax code.
B. SSDGS seeks to instill in the girls: ideals of good sportsmanship, honesty, loyalty,
courage and reverence so they may be finer, stronger, and happier girls who will grow
to be good clean healthy adults. This objective will be reached by providing
supervised competitive athletic games. The supervisors, coaches, parents, and
spectators shall bear in mind at all times that the attainment of exceptional athletic
skill or the winning of games is secondary and that the molding of future citizens is of
ARTICLE III-VOTING MEMBERSHIP
- The voting membership of the association will have one vote each and shall be limited to persons in good standing with SSDGS/DSI and meet the following requirements:
- Parents or guardians of the girls participating in the association
- The Executive Committee
- Assistant Coaches (Limited to 3 per team)
ARTCILE IV-EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
A. The Executive Committee of the association shall consist of:
- Vice President
- Concession Manager
- Fundraising Representative
- Uniform Manager
- Umpire Representative
- Field Maintenance/Equipment Manager
- 5U League Representative
- 8U League Representative
- 10U League Representative
- 12U League Representative
- 18U League Representative
- An individual who has been sanctioned by SSDGS, placed on probation or having been issued a suspension from SSDGS or DSI, shall not be allowed to serve on the executive committee for a period of not less than five (5) years.
- At the annual organization meeting, the executive committee shall be elected for a period of one 2-year term. There is a minimum requirement of three (3) consecutive years on the board in order to be elected for president, vice president and treasurer. In even numbered years, voting for president, secretary, treasurer, and equipment manager shall occur. In odd numbered years voting for vice president, player representatives, and concession representative shall occur. All league representatives will be elected to a two-year term. The elected executive committee shall take office by September 1.
- Should any vacancy of the executive committee occur by death, resignation, or otherwise, the same shall be filled without delay by the executive committee.
- An umpire representative shall be appointed by the executive committee no later than
December 31, or as soon practicable thereafter, and upon acceptance of this
appointment, shall become a voting member of that board for one (1) year. This
appointment will be reviewed and accepted by the executive committee each year.
- An elected member of the executive committee may be removed by two-thirds vote of the executive committee.
- An appointed member of the executive committee may be removed by a two-thirds vote of the executive committee.
- All matters of policy concerning the SSDGS shall be decided by a vote of the executive committee. Eight (8) members shall constitute a quorum.
- All board members and executive committee shall receive one free registration fee per household, excluding uniform cost.
- A league representative will not be allowed to coach in the same division he/she is the commissioner of, excluding T-Ball.
- Each division commissioner term shall be for one 2-year term.
- An annual meeting of the members of this association shall be conducted by the end of August of each year for the reading of reports. All managers will be notified of the date of this meeting one (1) week before the meeting. Additional meetings may be called by the president, or upon request of at least three (3) members of the executive committee.
- A majority vote of the members present at said meeting shall constitute a quorum provided notice has been given in the paper, posted on the website, or e-mailed, seven (7) days in advance and all executive members have been notified personally.
- Robert's rule of order, revised, shall govern the proceedings of the meeting, except where some conflict with the bylaws of the association exists.
- The president, with the approval of the executive committee, shall appoint a nominating committee of at least five (5) members who will present names of prospective candidates in writing prior to the annual elections.
- The president shall appoint any other committees as deemed necessary.
ARTICLE VII-FINANCIAL POLICY
- The executive committee shall decide all matters pertaining to the finances of SSDGS It shall be general policy to place all income in a common treasury; directing expenditures of same in such a manner as will give no individual or team any advantages over the other as to equipment and so forth. Exception will be the concession fund, which will be administered by the concession representative and one (1) other board member.
- There shall be cosigners required on all checks. The signature of the treasurer will be required along with either the signature of the president or vice-president. No expenditure or association commitment over five hundred ($500.00) dollars will be made without prior executive board approval.
- A financial report, including the concession stand report, of all monies shall be submitted at every executive committee meeting and every general meeting of SSDGS, at the discretion of the executive committee. A financial report will be made available twice per calendar year. Once prior to the spring season and once prior to the fall season.
- If a separate bank account will be maintained for the concession stand, there will be co-signers required (concession representative and treasurer) on all checks. No other signers will be allowed. Treasurer will deposit all concession monies within 10 days.
- If a separate bank account will be maintained for concessions, all excess net proceeds (profit over $5,000) will be transferred to the general fund of the association within 10 days.
- Two (2) parents or guardians, not from the same family shall audit the books before turning them over to the new administration by September 1 of the current year. The outgoing treasurer shall work with the incoming treasurer until the books have been audited. The outgoing concession representative shall work with the incoming concession representative until the books have been audited, at the discretion of the executive committee.
- No part of the net earnings of the association shall inure to the benefit of, or be distributable to, it's members, trustees, officers, or other private persons, except that the association shall be authorized and empowered to pay reasonable compensation for services rendered and to make payments and distributions in furtherance of the purposes set forth in Article II hereof. No substantial part of the activities of the association shall be carrying on of propaganda, or otherwise attempting to influence legislation. The association shall not participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distribution of statements) any political campaign on behalf of or in opposition to any candidate for public office. Notwithstanding any other provision of these articles, the association shall not carry on any other activities not permitted to be carried on:
1. By an organization exempt from federal income tax under section 501(C) (2) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any future federal tax code.
2. By an organization, contributions to which are deducted under section 170(C) (2) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any future federal tax code.
- Upon the dissolution of the association, assets shall be distributed for one or more exempt purposes within the meaning of section 501(C) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any future federal tax code, or shall be distributed to the federal government, or to a state or local government, for a public purpose. Any such assets not so disposed of shall be disposed of by the court of common pleas of the county in which the association is then located, exclusively for such purposes or to such organization or organizations, as said court shall determine, which are organized and operated exclusively for such purposes.
- A group type accident insurance obtained by and in the name of the SSDGS shall cover each participant in league play or practice session of the SSDGS insurance for players also accepted individually from DSI. Each player shall be required prior to participating in any league play or practice session, to pay a specified registration fee and return a completed application form. No SSDGS facility will be available until above requirements have been met.
- Teams are allowed to practice with other teams. All teams are covered under the SSDGS insurance.
ARTICLE IX-TEAM FEES/OBLIGATION
- All teams will be assessed a specified team fee per year. This fee may come from any firm, company, organization or one or more individuals. This fee is determined by the Executive Committee. All sponsors are subject to approval.
- All team fees are due in full no later than one week prior to opening day. If team fee is not received by this date the team will be removed from the SSDGS league roster until obligation is fulfilled.
ARTICLE X-MANAGERS AND ASSISTANTS
- Managers and assistants of all teams shall be approved by the executive committee and shall submit an application for approval by the executive committee.
- All head coaches must turn in a completed roster of assistant coaches to the board for approval within two weeks of season starting. Any changes to the coach’s roster during the season must be submitted to the commissioner of the appropriate age division.
- Only head coaches are allowed to address the umpires regarding any issues of game play. If the head coach is absent during the game then the appointed replacement for that game can address the umpire for that one game only.
- Each team shall have one (1) manager and up to three (3) assistants after the teams are formed. Each head coach shall only have one (1) assistant coach prior to teams being formed each season. They shall be responsible for their team's conduct on or off the field, while acting in their capacity as a manager or an assistant.
- Each manager and assistant shall conduct himself/herself at all times in such a manner as to be a credit to this association and the City of Smiths Station. Managers and/or assistants shall be subject to removal or asked to resign by two-thirds vote of the executive committee for justifiable reasons.
- Each manager may have their own child play on the team they manage. Assistant Managers may have their child play on the team they assist provided the child does not already play on an established team. To transfer an assistant's child to his/her team shall require the consent of the executive committee.
- Any manager or assistant ejected from a game may be brought before the executive committee and will be subject to any disciplinary action deemed appropriate. The manager or assistant will be given at least 24 hours advance notice of the meeting at which time a decision will be made with or without his/her presence.
- Any manager or coach who has outstanding financial obligations to SSDGS or any other softball organization or related business will not be allowed to coach until proof of restitution is provided in writing to SSDGS executive board.
- Any manager or coach who has been sanctioned by SSDGS, placed on probation, or having been issued a suspension by SSDGS, shall not be allowed to manage or coach a team until proof of the suspension being lifted is, in writing, on file with the SSDGS executive board.
- Participation in this association shall be in accordance with DSI rules and shall be governed by SSDGS.
- Each player shall conduct herself at all times in such a manner as to be a credit to this organization and the City of Smiths Station. Each player shall be subject to removal from the assigned team upon recommendation of his/ her manager to the executive committee (with majority vote of the board).
- Any player with outstanding financial obligations to SSDGS will not be allowed to participate within SSDGS until proof of restitution or agreement is provided in writing to the SSDGS executive board.
- Any member of a team that does not attend two (2) successive scheduled practices and does not have valid reason suitable to the manager's approval (illness or vacation) may be prohibited from playing the following league game.
ARTICLEXII-APPLICATIONS AND PLAYER PLACEMENT
- All applications shall be turned in by the date determined by the executive committee for the spring league and before start of play for the fall league, or as soon as possible thereafter. In the event that an application is turned in after the start of play for a season, the fee shall be prorated accordingly.
- Each player must furnish a bona fide birth certificate with their application showing the date of birth. A copy of the birth certificate will be attached to the application and kept in the SSDGS office. Returning players with a copy of a birth certificate on file need not furnish a birth certificate each year unless requested by the executive committee.
- No player can participate in any practice session until her application has been turned in to a member of the executive committee.
- No player shall be allowed to be placed on two different league rosters at the same time in the same season. However, in the event of a declared forfeit and only in such event, a team may select a pick-up player(s) from the opposing team, or another player currently registered with the SSDGS, in order to play a scrimmage.
Placement of returning players and managers for the league shall be done in the following manner:
- For each season, any player who participated on a team of the past season shall be permitted to remain on that team. Any player who does not desire to remain on the team with which she participated in the past will be permitted to place her name in the "player's pool". She shall be assigned to a team, other than the one she participated on, for the upcoming season in the same manner as a new applicant.
- Any coach that decides not to coach again has the option of selecting a replacement coach for that season from one of his/her assistant coaches. Otherwise, all players from that previous team will be placed in the “players pool” and attend draft.
- Any returning coach from the previous SSDGS season not moving to the next age division has the opportunity to keep any or all players from the previous season. A returning coach moving up to the next age division will not be allowed to keep any or all players from the previous season.
- A minimum of six (6) returning players will form a team, with the availability of a manager.
Placement of new players, and managers, with an insufficient number of players to form a team shall be handled through the respective league representative from a players' pool. A players' pool shall consist of those players that are:
- New applicants to the league shall be placed in a league that matches their age. Applicants will be placed on a team of the corresponding league having players of the same age level, i.e., 12-year-old applicants will be placed on a team composed of 12 year olds & under.
- From teams that have folded.
- Players that no longer wish to play for the former team.
ARTICLE XIII-LEAGUES AND TEAMS
- The executive committee shall form leagues of this association after the signed applications and birth certificates of players wishing to participate have been received. No newly formed team shall exceed fifteen (15) members.
- SSDGS age divisions shall consist of the following:
- Eighteen & under (18U) fast pitch league.
- Twelve & under (12U) fast pitch league.
- Ten & under (10U) fast pitch league.
- Eight & under (8U) coach pitch league.
- Three (3), four (4), and five (5) year old Sweeties Tee Ball league.
- No team can play up in age group without prior approval from Executive Committee. A roster with names, birthdates and schools must be submitted in writing to the Executive Committee for consideration. A parent’s consent form must also be submitted to the Executive Committee with the petition.
- A player may only play up in age one (1) year (i.e., 12 year old can play 14U, but an 11 year old cannot play 14U) without executive committee approval.
ARTICLE XIV-EQUIPMENT AND UNIFORMS
The equipment issued by this association will be determined by the executive committee in accordance with DSI rules. This equipment shall be purchased from the lowest bidder, taking into consideration local merchants, by the equipment manager with the approval of the executive committee for amounts over two hundred ($200.00) dollars. The uniform adopted by this association shall be matching shirts in the designated team color and coordinating pants or shorts. If desired by the sponsor, the sponsor's name can be displayed on the shirt. Each shirt must prominently display (meet DSI requirements) the number assigned to that player by the team manager. If shorts are selected, they must contain a leg (no briefs). The team manager, working in conjunction with his/her team, will select the appropriate uniform. (Each team shall be responsible for sizing and ordering of their teams uniforms and is in no way the responsibility of SSDGS). The uniform shall be provided by each participant and will be worn in every game.
The bylaws or any section thereof may be amended or repealed by majority vote of the members present at any called meeting of this association provided ARTICLE V, SECTION B has been adhered to. Any amendment of these rules governing the SSDGS shall be made in written form and presented to each manager and to the umpire's association. Standing rules - no changes shall be made to the standing rules without executive board approval.
ARTICLE XVI LEAGUE STANDINGS
- Only interleague games will be considered in determining the league standings of an age division.
- Final league standings will be determined by:
- Team win/loss standings at the end of the season.
- In the event a tie exists a one game playoff game will be mandated.
- Play-off games shall follow the same rules as regular season games.
ARTICLE XVII-SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS
In the event SSDGS hosts an All Star tournament. All teams playing within that age league of SSDGS will be eligible to participate in the tournament.
ARTICLE XVIII-FACILITY UTILIZATION AGREEMENT
- Nothing contained herein shall be deemed or construed by the parties hereto or by any third party to create the relationship of principal and agent, or of any partnership or of joint venture, it being expressly understood and agreed that no provision contained herein nor any act or acts of the parties hereto shall be deemed to create any relationship between the parties other than the relationship between the City of Smiths Station as a governmental entity, and its citizens, in a regulatory matter governing the use of city facilities and the conduct of activities related thereto. The SSDGS shall not represent to any person, by any means, that it acts for or on behalf of the city unless expressly so authorized, in writing, by the city.
- The SSDGS agrees to indemnify and hold the City of Smiths Station, it's agents, employees, and representatives, harmless from any and all loss, cost expense, injury (including death), damage, liability, action, cause of action, lien, or attorney's fees (whether contractual or statutory), arising out of or relating to the performance of the activities contemplated herein, including those caused by or attributable to the joint or concurrent negligence or willful act of parties, but not those caused by or attributable to the sole negligence or willful act of the city, it's agents, employees, or representatives.
ARTICLE XVIIII-ALL-STAR PROCESS
- An All-Star selection meeting will be held with all head coaches in age division to determine the All-Star team for that season. There will be also a neutral board member present at each selection meeting.
- Only head coaches in the appropriate age division are allowed to attend the all-star selection meeting. If for any reason the head coach is not able to attend this meeting another coach from the team roster can attend in their place.
- The winning head coach in each age division as determined by ARTICLE XVI-LEAGUE STANDINGS will be deemed the head coach for the all-star team in the appropriate age division.
- In the event that the winning coach is not able to fulfill the head coach duties for all-stars the second place head coach will be determined the head coach for the all-star team.
- The All-Star head coach will have the ability to pick their coaching staff for their All-Star team to include no more than three (3) assistant coaches.
- It will be determined that the SSDGS All-Star team will be made up from the best players across all teams in each age division.
- The SSDGS All-Star team is decided by a vote of all head coaches in age division.
- If there is any disagreement or conflict during the selection meeting a final decision can be made by the attending board member or commissioner.
- All All-Star team practices are mandatory. If a player misses two (2) practices that player is subject to removal from the team.
- Each team will consist of 12 players and a reserve alternant will also be chosen in event of injury. No pickup players will be allowed.
Dixie Softball Inc. (DSI) rules shall apply except for the following:
- Each player that participates as a catcher in league play or during practice sessions shall be required to wear a facemask with a throat protector, (an extended wire protector may be worn in lieu of an attached throat protector.) full helmet (no skullcaps), shin guards, which cover the top of the knee to the top of the foot, and the chest protector approved by the association shall also be required.
- Each player participating in practice, practice games, regular games, or tournaments shall wear a protective batting helmet with chinstrap while in the on-deck batter position, while at bat, or while on base.
- Free defensive substitution will apply to all attending players and positions.
A. Should a player become injured during the course of play while batting the team roster and is no longer able to take their turn at bat, that batter should be removed from the lineup. No substitution will be required and no out will be given. The injured player once removed from the batting order may not reenter the game. Except when you are down to eight players the ninth player is an out every time it's her turn at bat.
B. If a team is batting their roster and a player is ejected, an out will be recorded for the ejected player's at bats.
4. Pitchers are to be given one warning per game about illegal pitch. The second illegal pitch and all subsequent illegal pitches will be called per game.
5. A pitcher from another age division can play up for a team in the event that there are not enough players to make a legal game. This pitcher is not allowed to pitch for the team she is playing with; if she does pitch the team she pitches for must take a forfeit. This forfeit will apply to the season’s final league standings.
6. Home team will occupy first (1st) base dugout.
7. Regular season games for 18U leagues shall consist of seven (7) innings 12U (6) innings 10U, 8U, and, 5U (5) innings or time limit stated below whichever occurs first. No inning will start after the time limit has expired. The next inning officially starts immediately after the final out of the previous inning. In the event the score is tied after regular play the international tie breaker rule (ITB) will be used in extra innings until there is a winner (excludes 5U and 8U). The ten (10) run rule after four (4) innings applies to all games. The time limit for all league games is as follows:
A. 18U through 10U - one (1) hour twenty (20) minutes.
B. Modified pitch 7 & 8 years olds - one (1) hour 15 minutes finish the inning.
C. 4 & 5 year old T-ball league - 60 minutes finish the inning.
8. All managers shall be required to play each member of his/her team that participates in regular practice of the team, a minimum of twelve (6) consecutive outs. Substitution will be made at the top of the third inning to ensure maximum opportunity for all players to play twelve (6) consecutive outs. Upon determining a violation of this rule occurred, the offending team shall forfeit the game. The plate umpire shall make this determination with the assistance of the official scorekeeper, upon completion of the game, or by executive committee action. Exception to the substitution rule would be in the event of an injury and no other player is available to play or one-half (1/2) of the playing time has elapsed prior to the top of the third inning. If one-half (1/2) of the playing time has elapsed prior to the top of the third inning, substitutions must be made.
9. Managers on both home and visiting teams shall submit their lineup of all team members, including first and last names (no nicknames), positions by #, uniform numbers, to the scorekeeper and the opposing manager at least ten minutes before game time. The lineup shall be submitted on the official SSDGS (Or equivalent) player's form. Reason for players not playing shall be listed beside the player's name.
10. Sweeties 3, 4, and 5 year olds, the following applies:
Refer to Alabama Dixie Softball Rulebook for applicable rules of this age division.
11. Eight & under (8U) coach pitch division:
Refer to Alabama Dixie Softball Rulebook for applicable rules of this age division.
12. Ten (10U) & under division:
Refer to Alabama Dixie Softball Rulebook for applicable rules of this age division. Exception: League rule-A legal game shall be played with only 9 players.
13. Twelve (12U) & under division:
Refer to Alabama Dixie Softball Rulebook for applicable rules of this age division. Exception: League rule-A legal game shall be played with only 8 players.
14. Eighteen (18U) & under division:
Refer to Alabama Dixie Softball Rulebook for applicable rules of this age division. Exception: League rule-A legal game shall be played with only 8 players.
15. Violation, penalty, and suspension of play:
Players, coaches, or managers shall not make disparaging or insulting remarks to or about opposing players, officials, or spectators. Likewise, spectators shall not disparage, insult, or harass players, coaches, managers, or officials. The umpires shall exercise their authority to stop such violations and should suspend play and may order the removal of the offender(s) from the game and grounds. A written report of each ejection will be submitted by the umpire involved, to the executive committee and UIC. The offender may provide a written report at their discretion.
- The starting home team is to take the field at or prior to game time and be allowed five (5) warm - up pitches with the usual simultaneous infield warm-up and the game is then to start.
- No umpire shall be allowed to call any game in which a relative is playing, managing, or assisting unless agreed to by both managers.
- No practice on infield (infield defined as inside base path) prior to the game will be allowed.
- If only one (1) umpire is present at start of game, for the game to begin, both managers must agree to play the game with only one (1) umpire. If one (1) or both managers do not agree to start the game with one (1) umpire, the game will be re-scheduled. (Does not apply to T-ball or modified coach pitch).
- All games are to start as scheduled, or immediately following previous game. No game will start early without approval of both managers. Game time is forfeit time.
- Any violation of the SSDGS rules that occur may be reported to the executive committee.
- If a rain out has not been declared by 5:00 p.m., then you must go to the field. After 5:00 p.m., the umpires will decide if the game will be canceled.
- No pitching or warming up during managers and umpires meeting (at home plate) prior to start of game, for safety reasons.
POLICIES FOR MANAGER
- Managers and assistants should read the bylaws and standing rules carefully.
- Each manager should have a meeting with his/her team parents to explain the functions of the association.
- Each manager is responsible for controlling their players' and players' parents' unsportsmanlike comments or remarks. This sport is for the girls to learn, compete and have fun.
- Each manager should have in his/her possession the completed medical release form for each player on the team.
- No player shall practice with a team unless they have been officially assigned to that team
- Managers having complaints about other managers shall contact the league representative, vice-president, or the president.
- At the end of the season, managers shall be responsible for returning their equipment to the equipment manager. Equipment must be returned immediately following last game.
- Managers of home teams of the early game shall place bases at their respective locations prepare the field for play chalk pitching, rubbers, and any other preparation needed managers of visiting teams of the last game shall pick up bases and pitching rubbers, and return to the designated area. Managers must report defective equipment to their league representative.
- It will be mandatory for all managers to participate in and be responsible for any association approved fund raising project.
- After the end of the game, each team shall be responsible for cleaning up on their side of the stands and their dugouts.
- No parking inside the complex.
- Pitching machines may not be used if the grounds (infield and/or outfield) are wet.
- All tools and bases are located in the equipment room portion of the main building. Please return equipment in their proper place.
- All equipment and pitching machines must stay at Smiths Station Sports Complex.
- When using the pitching machines, use the rubber pitching machine balls only.
- Coaches/players are never allowed to jump the fence to practice when complex is locked.